Den Helder has several nature areas worth visiting!
From De Helderse Vallei you can visit:
- The 'Donkere Duinen' woodlands, a mixed forest with several walking trails. Through these woods the beach and the sea can also be reached via the Donkere Duinen beach.
- Mariendal nature reserve, with its variety of walking trails and bicycle routes that run through it.
- 'New Mariendal' nature reserve, an extensive nature area consisting of a lake and marsh area where you can walk around to your heart’s content and also see Scottish Highlanders.
- 'De Grafelijkheidsduinen' dune area, a magnificent dune area with walking trails that ultimately lead to Huisduinen and Fort Kijkduin. Scottish Highlanders and Konik horses graze in this area.
- 'De Noordduinen' dune area. These dunes consist of the rare ‘grijs duin’, grey-coloured dunes due to the many mosses and lichens. These dunes are also known for the rare breeding bird the 'whatear' and its large rabbit population. More information can be found at www.dehelderseduinen.nl
- Somewhat further away, but also certainly worth a visit, is the Wadden Sea, which has been designated one of the Dutch 'World Heritage Sites'. More information can be found at www.beleefdewaddennatuur.nl.