Discover the grounds
There is plenty to do and discover in the grounds of De Helderse Vallei!
Blote Voetenpad barefoot path
Feel like exploring your surroundings barefoot? You can at De Helderse Vallei!
The Blote Voetenpad lets you discover Den Helder in miniature. Young and old can walk barefoot through the Donkere Duinen woodlands, the Grijze Duinen, the Wadden Sea, farmland areas, Den Helder Defence Line and the Mariëndal marshes.
Click here for more information.
And there's more...
- Several natural play and discovery areas have been created, such as a willow tree maze, a log trail, a candy maze, a toddler area with a sandpit, a slide and a bird's nest swing. A water pump and haystack are also provided so that children can play to their heart’s content with natural materials such as sand, water and straw.
- A wild flower garden, a bird garden with a bee tree, a hedgehog mound, an insect hotel and various nest boxes have been created in the grounds.
- On the paved terrace near the Centre, you can find inspiration for herb gardens and vegetable gardens.
- A small wind turbine close to the animal pasture, provided by Windmolenvereniging de Eendragt, generates clean wind power.
- We have also set up a weather station, water level monitoring well and sundial in the grounds.
- A bridge from De Helderse Vallei to Mariëndal leads to an adventure forest where children can enjoy playing with natural materials.
- A watchtower located just outside the grounds of De Helderse Vallei provides a wonderful view of the city!
- The neighbouring Mariëndal nature reserve has always been a beautiful recreational area where dogs can run free, people can jog or cycle and children can spend hours playing. Further features were added in 2016, including a challenging section on the ATB trail, more benches, a beach playground and a place where you can build your own huts between the trees!